About CSA STAR Certification
The CSA STAR Certification is a rigorous third party independent assessment of the security of a cloud service provider. The technology-neutral certification leverages the requirements of the ISO/IEC 27001 management system standard together with the CSA Cloud Controls Matrix, a specified set of criteria that measures the capability levels of the cloud service.
Organizations that outsource services to cloud service providers have a number of concerns about the security of their data and information. By achieving the STAR Certification, cloud providers of every size will be able to give prospective customers a greater understanding of their levels of security controls.
The STAR Certification is based upon achieving ISO/IEC 27001 and the specified set of criteria outlined in the Cloud Controls Matrix.
The independent assessment by an accredited CSA certification body will assign a ‘Management Capability’ score to each of the CCM security domains. Each domain will be scored on a specific maturity and will be measured against five management principles.
The internal report will show organizations how mature their processes are and what areas they need to consider improving on to reach an optimum level of maturity. These levels will be designated as either “No”, “Bronze”, “Silver” or “Gold” awards. Certified organizations will be listed on the CSA STAR Registry as “STAR Certified”.
STAR CERTIFICATION evaluates the efficiency of an organization’s ISMS and ensures the scope, processes and objectives are “Fit for Purpose” and helps organizations prioritize areas for improvement and lead them towards business excellence.
It also enables effective comparison across other organizations in the applicable sector and it is focused on the strategic and operational business benefits as well as effective partnership relationships.
CSA STAR Certification enables the auditor to assess a company’s performance, on long-term sustainability and risks, in addition to ensuring they are SLA driven, allowing senior management to quantify and measure improvement year on year.
To be consistent with international standards, the STAR certification scheme is designed to comply with:
- ISO/IEC 17021:2015, Conformity assessment – Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems
- ISO/IEC 27006:2015, Information technology – Security techniques – Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of information security management systems
- ISO 19011, Guidelines for auditing management systems
CSA STAR Certification assessments are based on CCM v3.0.1 and ISO/IEC 27001:2013.
Whether you use cloud services, provide cloud services, audit/certify cloud services, or secure cloud services, you have a vested interest in knowing more about cloud security from an objective, third-party source. You need the right tools to ensure that you are playing your part in securing the cloud ecosystem while supporting industry standards.
For users of cloud services, CSA STAR helps:
- Get a clear view of cloud provider security practices
- Speed acquisition and improve procurement by accelerating the due diligence process
- Understand which providers complement existing infrastructure
- Maximize long-term investments with vendor transparency
- Gain from lessons learned by a community of cloud users
For cloud service providers, CSA STAR helps:
- Find tools that help build, establish and maintain a robust security program
- Assess their own security with a complementary level one certification
- Educate potential clients on good practices
- Accelerate your sales cycle
- Demonstrate increased cloud computing maturity via additional certification
- Solidify your position as a trusted provider of cloud services to clients
For IT auditors and certification bodies, CSA STAR helps:
- Gain access to guidance to build on existing reporting/standards (SOC2, ISO/IEC 27001) with a cloud specific overlay
- Grow their IT assurance business as a certified leader in cloud-specific security assurance
- Demonstrate expertise by remaining current on best practices, regulations and standards
- Stay apprised of varying maturity levels across the cloud provider and consumer landscape
For security solution providers and consultants, CSA STAR helps:
- Expand business by helping customers successfully navigate secure cloud adoption
- Extend offerings to include data and best practices that support trusted cloud environments
- Become a trusted advisor to your clients for security across the enterprise
- Collaborate with clients as they explore new business models to grow their business
Detailed information about the schema can be found: https://cloudsecurityalliance.org/star/certification#_resources
The official launch of the STAR Certification program is the 25th of September 2013.
Submit a Question
Have questions you would like to see answered? Please direct them to [email protected] or through the form below:
STAR Certification Question
Certificate pricing: rules and explanations
Certificate Fee will apply. Price is based on the 'number of employees' in the scope of certification. The fee is payable by you through your Certification Body to CSA for the issuance of a Certificate and to cover administration of the program and databases. Please contact your Certifying Body to ascertain the exact fee for your organization.
Become an Auditor
Requirements on a Certification Body
A certification body conducting CSA STAR Certification assessments shall be accredited to ISO 27006 by an IAF member accreditation body for delivery of ISO 27001 assessments.
- A certification body shall comply with all the requirements of ISO 27006 as well as the document “Requirements for Bodies Providing STAR Certification” in order to qualify as a CSA STAR Certification Body.
- The document “Auditing the Cloud Controls Matrix” adds greater clarity for areas specific to auditing the CCM but does not relieve a Certification Body in its obligation to comply with 27006 when conducting an assessment.
- For more information on the CSA STAR Certification Training please see: http://www.bsigroup.com/en-GB/CSA-STAR-Certification/CSA-STAR-Certification-Training-/
- The requirement expressed in the previous clause (2 year of experience working in Info Sec) is not necessary if the assessor has gained the CSA’s Certificate in Cloud Security Knowledge (CCSK) or alternative course that gives a similar level of grounding in cloud computing or information security applications.
|Certified Auditors||Contact Info|
British Standards Institution
BSI Global HQ
Coalfire ISO HQ
Coalfire ISO has locations across the United States and in the United Kingdom. Coalfire ISO is one of a handful of fully-qualified certification bodies in North America accredited by the ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board (ANAB). Coalfire ISO is committed to being a value-added, competent, and cost-effective provider of assessment services to national and international standards with the highest integrity and in a timely manner. For more information, please visit http://www.coalfireiso.com
ControlCase is a global provider of technology-driven compliance and security solutions. ControlCase is committed to partnering with clients to develop strategic information security and compliance programs that are simplified, cost effective and comprehensive in both on-premise and cloud environments. ControlCase provides the best experts, customer experience and technology for regulations including PCI DSS, GDPR, SOC1, SOC2, SOC3, HIPAA/HITRUST™, ISO 27001/2, SSAE16, PIPEDA, FERC/NERC, Sarbanes Oxley (SOX), GLBA, CoBIT, BITS FISAP and EI3PA.
Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, DNV GL enables organizations to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. DNV GL is a leading provider of classification, certification, verification and training services. With our origins stretching back to 1864, our reach today is global. Operating in more than 100 countries, our 14,000 professionals are dedicated to helping our customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
As a world-leading certification body, DNV GL helps businesses assure the performance of their organizations, products, people, facilities and supply chains through certification, verification, assessment, and training services. We also deliver deep insight and pragmatic support to major companies enabling them to build effective sustainability strategies. Partnering with our customers, we build sustainable business performance and create stakeholder trust.
DNV GL HQ
Nixu Corporation is a cybersecurity company. We work to improve our clients’ cybersecurity in solution areas of Corporate IT, Digital Business and Industrial Internet. Our clients trust Nixu in projects where developing, implementing or assessing of information security is a must. We ensure the confidentiality of our clients' data, business continuity and ease-of-access to digital services through planning and mitigation of cybersecurity risks.
NSF International is an independent, global organization that protects human health by facilitating the development of public health and safety standards, and providing certification and testing services.
Our cybersecurity audit services can help you leverage best practices to reduce organizational risk, improve business performance, successfully address customer expectations and meet or exceed corporate and organizational objectives.
PricewaterhouseCoopers Certification BV (hereafter: PwCC), part of the worldwide PwC network is a legal entity accredited for verification and certification services globally. PwCC is focused on building digital trust, by providing certification services for (Cloud) information security management (ISO27000 series and CSA STAR), business continuity (ISO22301), quality management (ISO9001) and information technology service management (ISO20000).
PwCC is committed to delivering our certification engagements to the highest quality standards. As such, PwCC is accredited to issue ISO27001, ISO9001and ISO22301 certificates by the Dutch accreditation body ‘Raad voor Accreditatie’. Our certification engagements are conducted according to the ISO17021-1 standard for certification of management systems, a standardised approach used by all accredited certification bodies. The actual overview of standards PwCC is accredited for can be found on the website of the ‘Raad voor Accreditatie’.
Organizations in a business-to-business environment are increasingly subject to requirements from customers, regulators and other stakeholders to demonstrate that information security, quality control and business continuity is up to standard from both a management system and controls perspective. PwCC is one of the few organisations that is capable of leveraging synergies resulting from overlaps between attestation frameworks (e.g. SOC1, SOC2, IRAP, HIPAA, GBLA, BSI C5, FDA, GXP, TISAX), management systems and different territories.
QSCert, spol. s r.o.
QSCert® is an international Certification Body based in Prague (Czech Republic). Its core business is certification of management systems according to several international standards. QSCert® has established the net of branch offices all over the world. QSCert® is accredited by the Czech Accreditation Institute. QSCert® differs from other certification bodies mainly by pragmatic approach to an audit without emphasis on bureaucracy. A quality management system which QSCert® requires from its clients is established also in QSCert®. QSCert® audit gives added value to the client not only by examining the compliance with the standard requirements but also by suggesting opportunities for improvement of the management system. QSCert auditors are people who worked as quality managers or consultants in the past – they are able to understand certification audits from the auditee point of view. It enables them to conduct audits in correct and pragmatic way.
Schellman & Company, LLC
Schellman & Company, LLC HQ
We are setting the pace and blazing new trails. We are the only company in the world capable of providing our clients the rare opportunity to achieve multiple compliance objectives through a single independent assessor — using experienced teams dedicated to delivering the highest quality.
For more information visit www.schellmanco.com
Société Générale de Surveillance (SGS)
SGS Taiwan (East Asia HQ)
Certification Competence Center
The TÜV AUSTRIA Deutschland GmbH (TAD) represents the offical Certification-Office of the TÜV AUSTRA GROUP concerning the certification of management-systems for IT-Security like ISO 27001 or CSA STAR. The TÜV AUSTRIA Group is an international group of companies with branches in more than 40 countries and with 1,400 employees worldwide. Services range from testing elevators and pressure equipment, plant safety, training & further education, medical devices, electric engineering, environmental protection, IT security, loss adjustment, certifications, calibrations, technical due diligence, legal compliance checks, and product testing through to the testing of stage and photovoltaic systems as well as wind turbines.